Residents alarmed by outbreak of dog illnesses on hayworth avenue – wehoville diffuse hypoxic brain injury

UPDATE: A spokeswoman for the L.A. County Animal Care and Control Department said that it had been notified on Monday by the City of West Hollywood of reports of possible poisoning of dogs on Hayworth Avenue. Animal Care has assigned two investigators to look into the incidents. The spokeswoman said that Animal Care advises dog owners to give priority to getting their pets to a veterinarian and then asks that they call Animal Care to report the issue at(818) 991-0071.

Bob Voakes, the manager of an apartment building on the block who also is a dog walker, said one dog was diagnosed by a veterinarian as having been poisoned. That dog almost died but has recovered, Voakes said, and must remain on antibiotics for a long time.


Voakes said he’s personally aware of several other dogs who have become seriously ill and taken to veterinary clinics.

One resident posted a notice on the street warning of the illnesses. “Beware!!! In the past two weeks, at least 7 dogs that we know of have been poisoned on the 1200 block of N. Hayworth Ave.,” the notice reads. “Symptoms have ranged from vomiting and fever, to a stroke and seizures. anoxia meaning in urdu No one is sure where or how the poisoning is taking place. Chemicals on lawns? Deliberate poisoning? There has been a strange man throwing bread into various lawns on the block. anxiety meaning in marathi We don’t know if that is connected to the poisonings, or not.”

“New puppy next door wound up in emergency, was throwing up and wouldn’t eat for days before,” said another person. “Maxie was throwing up yesterday but is ok today. … I don’t have all the facts yet, But being careful is best course of action right now.”

“Oh my goodness!!! This is horrifying. Duke was really sick 2-3 weeks ago and he never gets sick,” said yet another. “He threw up, was cold/shivering and didn’t have energy to walk. Then he had a fever. Thankfully he came out of it, but it could have been due to the “poison” on the sidewalk.”

A resident wrote that another person’s dog “was just diagnosed with pancreatitis, and is in hospital. She has had other misc (sic) health issues, but he’s said, according to an ASPCA site, one possible cause of pancreatitis are organophosphates, which apparently are in a lot of insecticides.”

Joshuah Michael, who has lived on that block of Hayworth for six years, said his two dogs have experienced red bumps on their skin. The dogs, one a year-old dachshund and chihuahua mix and the other a six-year-old miniature pinscher, also began throwing up after Michael returned from a vacation two weeks ago.

“I definitely think that the news was trying to hype it up,” he said, citing a local television reporter who seemed uninteresting in hearing other possible reasons for the illnesses. Those reasons, Michael said, could be infections from fleas or mosquitos. Such infections by mosquitos and fleas have been cited in recent news stories.

He noted that some neighbors suggested that dogs might have become ill after eating bread crumbs found on the sidewalk and lawns. Michael said those bread crumbs began appearing after a spat in which one neighbor, upset that another had left a bag of trash on the lawn or sidewalk, had nailed it to a tree with a note calling out the neighbor for not putting the trash in a can.

Ultimately, Voakes said, it will be up to the Sheriff’s Station and the Los Angeles County Animal Care Control Department to determine the reason for the outbreak of illnesses. It is, however, unclear if anyone has reported the incidents to either. Click here to subscribe and get news updates each morning.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), businesses and organizations that serve the public must allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals into all areas of the facility where customers are normally allowed to go. other specified anxiety disorder dsm 5 code This federal law applies to all businesses open to the public, including restaurants, hotels, taxis and shuttles, grocery and department stores, hospitals and medical offices, theaters, health clubs, parks, and zoos. Landlords can’t even charge people with a Service Animal the pet fee or deposit. See the U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division Disability Rights Section on Service Animals.

The Legal protections for “service” dogs under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are NOT fully applicable to Psychiatric Service or Emotional Support Dogs that are exclusively defined as such but, if their condition causes seizures or other physical disabilities (as claimed by them) we are back into the “service dog definition again. anxiety attack treatment The standards for your mutt to be a “Legally Certified Service Dog” are NOT exceptionally high! For your dog to be considered a legitimate Service Dog, it must be trained to perform a task for you that you cannot do for yourself. This can include opening doors, alerting, guiding, or pulling a wheelchair. Dogs can be trained by the person with the disability, a professional canine trainer or a friend or family member (as long as the dog is obedience and task-specifically trained). See the SERVICE ANIMAL LAWS: COMPARISON CHART. Plenty of room for shenanigans here! Just about anyone can get their dog a Legitimate Service Dog Certification!

Reportedly, at least one vet has named poison as the culprit of one of the most ill dogs, so it’s a matter of trying to find out what kind of toxin it is and how the dogs are being exposed to it. I would rather think this is someone being ignorant about putting out rodent poison or spraying insecticide or weed killer indiscriminately than to think this is intentional.

I did see the footprint on the neighbor who was kicked by the above-mentioned animal hater in that block when it happened. Yes, he is known to scream and curse at and threaten people whose dogs step onto the grass, and acts like a jerk in general, but I would certainly hope that a human wouldn’t resort to such cruelty against a defenseless animal. Not even the neighborhood a**hole.

I don’t think it’s a virus, either, since some of the ill dogs have not been in contact with others who are ill. There are now well over a dozen dogs that have had the same symptoms who either live on Hayworth or walk down that 1200 block regularly from Laurel and other surrounding streets.

From some of the symptoms described it sounds like Xylitol which is poisonous to Dogs, but rather safe to humans and even used as a sweetener. Xylitol is safe for people or even primates in general, like most sugar alcohols, it may have a mild laxative effect when eaten in large amounts or when first introduced to a diet. anxiety testimonials This occurs because xylitol may not be completely digested in the intestines until the digestive system adapts but, with non-primates the digestive system NEVER adapts to it. Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs! Even small amounts of xylitol will cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure resulting in death with dogs.

With both humans and dogs, blood sugar level is controlled by the release of insulin from the pancreas. Xylitol does NOT stimulate the release of insulin from the pancreas in humans. However, when non-primate species like dogs eat anything containing xylitol it’s NOT digested, the xylitol is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, resulting in a potent release of insulin from the pancreas. The rapid release of insulin causes a rapid and profound decrease in the level of blood sugar (hypoglycemia), an effect that occurs within 10-60 minutes of eating the xylitol. Left untreated, this hypoglycemia is likely fatal!

Xylitol is a polyalcohol or sugar alcohol (specifically an alditol) and even with the dog’s extraordinary sense of smell, it can NOT distinguish between xylitol and a safe sugar alcohol it’s more than willing to eat. YES dogs WILL lick up pure xylitol in the form of a white powder which is easily available.