Drill press tap arm define anxious

Whenever I finish a project with a lot of holes to tap I start thinking of making a tapping jig. After finishing Mr. anxiety disorder nos dsm 5 code Elmer Verburg #5 with all those wonderful #2-56 screws I found myself once again thinking about a jig. I’ve seen a few where if you have a drill press with a round table you can just lift out the table and make a bushing that will drop in. Nice and simple, just make a bushing and a shaft with something to hold the tap on one end and some sort of knob on the other end.

A few years back I picked up this small drill press from Canadian Tire thinking it would be better than a hand drill and I wouldn’t be running out to the garage whenever I needed a straight hole. It’s turned out to be surprisingly good.


The only change I have done was replacing the depth stop collar. difference between hypoxia and anoxia It was plastic and just plain horrible but simple to make a replacement out of aluminum. Unfortunately it has a square table so no arm with a nice round hole to work with.

It came to me that it would be easy enough as well as handy to add an arm to the drill press column. The other benefit is it wouldn’t take up any of my very limited shop space. So the plan is to have it clamp to the column in the same way as the table and just swing the table under it when in use. A shaft with a chuck and small hand wheel will run in a bushing on the end. hypoxic brain damage recovery All I’d need is a short piece of pipe that would/could be made to slide on the rear column with a short arm. This would require welding and I have a small wire feed but I just haven’t ever used it enough not to suck at it. There isn’t anything critical here except keeping the two holes parallel so I thought the easiest way would be to make with a quick and dirty casting. I have no concerns about shrinkage so for all intents and purposes the pattern just has to provide enough material for machining.

Here I could go on about how laminating up small pieces of wood is stronger than using two large pieces but to be honest I had a bunch of small stuff in my patterning bin and I was too lazy to move my car and drag out the table saw. This is a split pattern so I put newspaper on the centre lines of the blanks and then let the glue dry overnight.

Once I got past the anxiety of approaching a rapidly spinning chunk of wood with a pointy metal stick I think I would have made my old 3 fingered shop teacher proud, I marked it to length, parted it off then turned the blanks for the bushing end and core prints. I found this little lathe at Canuk Tire on the clearance table (no box) and I sure don’t miss getting saw dust all over the metal lathe and everything else in the basement shop.

I haven’t cast anything in about a year so needless to say my green sand was completely dried out and in desperate need of attention. Normally after reconditioning I like to let it sit for a day then mull it again before I use it but I wanted to see how the pattern would pull so I rammed it up and it looked good (enough) so I didn’t have to rework any of the edges.

This is where I ran into a small problem. The core prints are 1 ¼” diameter and my plan was to use a green sand core. what is anoxic brain injury Trouble was I didn’t have any sort of tubing long enough in my scrap. I found an old sink drain in my “Plumbing Stuff” box but it was only 3” long and I needed 4. What I ended up doing was screw two pieces of 2×4 together and drilling a 1 ¼” hole on the centre line. I don’t have a forstner long enough so I had to use a spade bit. The hole was rough, ugly and unfinished but I just wrapped wax paper around the inside and rammed it up hard with a couple of pieces of wire in it for support. The result looks more like something the dog left on the lawn but its solid and will make a hole. I also screwed up that sink bob on the left it should have been going up into the cope. Just not thinking and out of practice.

I extended the risers to get a little more head pressure. The webs where ¼” before sanding in the draft angle and I was concerned it might freeze before the bushing end filled. It was when I knocked it out that I realised that the sink bob was upside down and way too small to have done anything. anoxic event medical From the look of the surface my sand was a little wet and I’d poured too hot.